Sunday, August 21, 2011

New Page! Harlequin Haberdashery

The tricorn I made for the party last weekend was a cheater, using weird guesswork construction, but I've learned how to make hats properly and since then I've made a few more tiny hats using proper hatmaking techniques. I'm interested in making big hats, but I'm not sure what I'd use to mold the felt. I have something that might work but it's more round than head-shaped. I could experiment.

After my black & red tricorn, I molded a red crown thinking I'd make a red tricorn, but then I realized I didn't have enough red, so I ended up with red & green. So I went all-out Christmasy.

After my failure to plan, I checked out what colors and quantities of felt I had, and what stood out to me was orange and yellow, which reminded me of a jack-o-lantern.

I opted for a tophat because it gave me a chance to try out an asymetrical tophat and the stovepipe would give me plenty of space for a cute jack-o-lantern face. I ended up liking black instead of yellow for the inside. I tried a couple different bows with the satin ribbon, but although they were cute, the ends of the bows were just a little visible from the front, which I thought distracted from the overall shape.

I love the face, but I think my favorite is the stem star at the top. I considered a few different versions of it, and ended up making the hat without it, but it looked less like a pumpkin and more like an orange hat in an inexplicably goofy mood. I think the green ties it in a little better.

I've picked up a little more felt and I have plans for a tiny bowler, which threatens to be glittery. I also grabbed some rainbow tye-dye felt. I'm thinking that might end up as a bowler too. There's definitely going to be some more tricorns as well, and I'm going to experiment with different scales of "tiny" hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment